If you’re thinking about braces, you’ve undoubtedly visited orthodontists, perhaps product manufacturers, and websites offering advice about orthodontic treatment. At McDonald Orthodontists, Dr. John and his warm, friendly, and professional staff are ready to welcome you to our Salem, OR office.
What is Orthodontics?
Orthodontics is a specialty in dentistry that helps patients with problems related to their bite alignment and teeth straightening; we achieve this realignment using braces. Some of the common issues solved by using orthodontics include:
- Underbite: When the lower jaw extends over the upper jaw.
- Overbite: When the upper jaw extends too far over the lower jaw.
- Crossbite: When upper teeth sit inside the lower teeth.
- Upper front teeth protrusion: Either the upper teeth extend too far, or the lower teeth don’t extend far enough.
- Crowding: When teeth don’t have enough room.
- Spacing: When there is too much room between teeth (or teeth are missing entirely).
- Open Bite: When there is no overlap between the upper and lower front teeth.
- Dental midline mismatch: When back teeth do not align properly.
Orthodontic Emergencies in Salem
Just because braces are some of the most reliable orthodontic appliances at our disposal, it doesn’t mean there is no risk of sudden emergencies or potential discomfort. Since braces are usually made of metal brackets and wires, the most common emergencies that they can cause are:
Other minor issues you can face while undergoing your treatment with braces are:
- Mouth Sores
- Rubbing Irritations
- Loose brackets
- Problems with wires
It’s rare for an Orthodontic emergency to happen. However, you must know what you can expect and familiarize yourself with what is normal during your treatment. You should expect soreness and discomfort in both gums or teeth, which is easily combated by consuming large amounts of liquid and soft foods.
Tools to keep handy
Once installed, you should never alter your braces; however, there are tools that can help prevent or alleviate problems. Our McDonald Orthodontic office in Salem recommends that patients should always keep the following items on hand.
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste: It’s important to keep both your smile, teeth, and braces as clean as possible.
- Dental Floss or Flossers: These two are always your best friend and an excellent tool to remove food from around your braces.
- Dental Wax: The perfect companion that acts as a cushion between your braces and the rest of your mouth, protecting you from a poking wire that may irritate your cheek, gums, or lips.
Contact Our Salem Emergency Orthodontists Now!
Whether you need a routine treatment or are having an orthodontic emergency in Salem, Dr. John will take the time to evaluate and then craft a unique treatment plan that works with your time, finances, and specific orthodontic needs. Schedule your visit with us today.