Patients who want straighter teeth have quite a few options to reach that goal. At McDonald Orthodontics Dr. John, Dr. John McDonald treats a wide range of cosmetic issues using traditional braces, surgical treatments, dentofacial orthopedics, and Invisalign. Many of our patients prefer the discreet and effective results that Invisalign clear aligners deliver. If you want to learn about the benefits of Invisalign, this overview will help.
What are the benefits of Invisalign?
Since its release in 2009, Invisalign has shaken up the orthodontics world. The clear aligner technology has become wildly popular because of its many benefits. And just when we start to think that Invisalign has reached its peak, the company rolls out something else cool.
These are just the main benefits of the clear aligner treatment.
- Discrete use: The main drawback of traditional braces is the obvious look of metal wires and brackets, as well as rubber bands. A mouthful of metal can make you feel self-conscious about smiling and talking, in addition to causing mouth sores and irritation. Invisalign aligners are practically invisible, especially when the trays are carefully cleaned and maintained.
- Effective results: Invisalign wouldn’t be so popular if it didn’t deliver drastic cosmetic results. Several years after entering the market, Invisalign developed and patented a unique material called SmartTrack. This advanced material allows Invisalign trays to fit snuggly to teeth, thereby allowing complex movements that can address a wide range of cosmetic problems.
- No nutritional restrictions: Anyone who has worn traditional braces remembers the strict dietary rules. Hard foods are dangerous because they can break bands and sensitive components of the braces. Sticky foods can dislodge brackets and get stuck between wires and teeth. Sweet foods risk causing decay. Popcorn? Absolutely not. While we advise wise eating choices as part of maintaining good oral health, Invisalign does not come with dietary limitations. Wearers simply remove their clear aligners before eating.
- Predictable results: Invisalign treatment is mapped out over a predictable timeline. When you receive the first set of aligners, you will be told the total number of aligners in your treatment plan. This can help you count down the days to your photo-ready smile!
- Comfort: Traditional metal braces require tightening or adjustment visits, in which wires are strategically tightened to create the pressure that will cause continued tooth movement. While Dr. John and our dental team are careful to ensure that all of our orthodontic treatments do not cause undue discomfort, tightening visits are usually followed by a day or two of soreness. With Invisalign, you won’t need your “braces tightened.” However, patients may experience some oral discomfort for the first few hours of wearing a new aligner. Minimize any discomfort by wearing new aligners before going to sleep at night.
Are there cons with Invisalign?
As with many things in life, there are small trade-offs when choosing one option over another. If patients experience complications related to Invisalign treatment, it usually involves the 22-hour compliance rule. The patient must be willing to comply with this important rule. Failure to do so can result in delayed results or the need to begin the process over again. Invisalign trays are removable, meaning that they can be lost. Having a mouthguard container handy is one way to ensure that you do not lose your trays when they are not in your mouth.
Schedule Your Invisalign Treatment Today
To schedule your Invisalign consultation, please contact our office online or call (503) 585-5400.